AuthorMessage
ShankatsuXero
Beginner
Beginner

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: a bit of judging info!   Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:15 pm

Hello judges (and aspiring judges)…

Greetings from your Judge Manager, Julia Hedberg – I hope to send these group emails out on a semi-regular basis, to keep you all up to date on what is going on with KDE’s judging program, as well other volunteer opportunities and our current OP schedules.

First off – a welcome to those of you who have expressed interest in joining the Judging ranks! You will learn a lot about what is going on with the program by reading through this email. Organized Play will be growing throughout the rest of 2009 and into 2010, and we will need a reliable corps of judges to make sure it all happens.

Let’s start with a quick overview of the Judge Program, as it currently stands.

Getting Information About the Program:
Mailing List – Pretty much what I’m using right now! When you contact either myself or Customer Service to request info about the judge program, I will add your name to the list so you can receive e-mail updates. They aren’t automatic, I actually have to sit down and write them out, so I can’t give you a set schedule for when to expect them…but I will try to send them when I’ve got a significant amount of information to pass along and time to write it all out.

The list only exists in a document on my desktop, so you don’t need to worry about being spammed by someone else.

If anyone would rather not receive email updates, just drop me a line to let me know and I’ll snip your name right out of the list.

Judge Certification Process:
The number one question on most judges’ minds – “How do I become a Konami Certified Judge?”

Certification is done through testing – beginning at Level 1 and working your way up from there. Currently, the Level 1 Rulings Certification test is being prepared for online access, and should be ready soon. Certification candidates will need a COSSY ID number in order to take the test, and they must be at least 16 years of age.

A paper version of the test has been made available to the judging staff of large events, starting with US Nationals, and currently we have 21 judges proudly holding a RC – 1 certification.

The online version should be ready to go live very soon – I have been reviewing the beta version and it looks good. Once all final approvals are in place and the test is live, I will announce the link and how to take the test via an email blast, Twitter, on the facebook group, and on various online forums.

In the meantime, prepare by studying the rulebook! If you have a solid grasp of the game mechanics explained in the rulebook, and you can carefully and attentively read a card, you should do fine on the test.

Additional Level 1 online tests that score your knowledge of Tournament Policy, Event Administration, and Demoing will follow, as the documents for these are finalized and posted to the site.

For those of you looking ahead to Level 2 and beyond – I’ve begun work on the Level 2 Rulings Comprehension test, and anticipate that it will be ready to go by the end of the year. This will be a paper test, that you will need to take at an event from a KDE-approved test administrator.

I’ll keep judges apprised of the test’s progress through the aforementioned channels.

FYI: It is currently not a requirement for judges to hold certification in order to judge. This will change as the test becomes readily available and judges have had a reasonable amount of time to prepare and pass it. For now, continue to judge and gain experience, and study up on your card rulings and game mechanics.

Upcoming OP News:

SHONEN JUMP Championships – We have announced both Orlando, FL (September 26-27) and Columbus, OH ( November 14-15), and are also very close to finalizing one in October. We’ve begun work on the entire 2010 OP season, including SJCs – we’ve a nice range of territory to cover, and will be needing judges in many areas.
While we don’t provide full sponsorships to SJCs, I do have a certain amount of money set aside per event, to help with judge’s travel costs. We will also provide hotel rooms for judges who travel in to help judge at these events. I encourage judges to apply to help out at SJCs, as these are some of the best events out there to gain experience. And you get taken out to dinner, too! We will post all confirmed locations and dates on www.yugioh-card.com /en/events.
Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me, if you are interested in joining the crew for either Orlando or Columbus.

Regional Qualifiers – We’ll be updating this list frequently, so watch for events in your area. Some will be run in outside venues, others will be run at the larger stores, and we plan to have quite a few for the 2010 Qualifier season. There is a new prizing and invite structure in place for the 2010 standard Regional Qualifiers, as follows:

Invites are given out on a sliding scale, based on Regional attendance.
4-32 players: 4 invites
33-64 players: 8 invites
65-128 players: 16 invites
129+ players: 32 invites

Invites to North American National Championships do not pass down this season.

Prizing:
Top 8: 2010 Regional Qualifier Game Mat
Top 4: Card Binder

Look for Regional location listings (posted now and updated frequently), a Regional Qualifier FAQ, and the Nationals Invite list for 2010 to appear soon at www.yugioh-card.com/en/events.

League Programs – Two new League Programs will be making their way into Official Tournament Stores this coming month – Duelist League, for players aged 14 and under, and Pegasus League, for players of all ages.
Duelist League features a 2 hour time block in which players engage in open play to win Duelist Cards and earn promos. Pegasus League features a rotating format that changes at the beginning of each month, to promote creative deckbuilding and strategy. Pegasus League participants will earn Turbo Packs.
Web pages dedicated to both of these League programs will be appearing soon at www.yugioh-card.com/en/events.

Mall Tour – Konami is participating in the Simon Mall GamePlay tour, which is making its way across the country from now through early November. This tour is aimed at demoing the game to new players, providing some open play space, and engaging the attendees in a “Challenge Duel” feature in which they can take on one of the volunteers to try and win a pack. I’m still looking for volunteers for some of the remaining stops, so if you’re interested, take a look at the schedule posted here http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/events...locations.html and shoot me an email with your information.

Join the Judge Roster:

I’m currently building up a list of all interested judges – if you would like to join this contact roster and have not already done so, please send me a little bit of information about yourself. Your full name and contact info (email and phone), as well as your city and state. Let me know about any former judging certifications you held, and a short description of your previous experience.

I think that’s probably enough information to shower upon you today! Again, let me thank all of you for showing interest in the program, and for the contributions you’ve all made so far. I’ve got a lot of plans for the program – including testing, sponsorship opportunities, and a variety of ways to provide mentoring and training to as many of you as possible. There is certainly a lot of ground to cover as we accelerate our way through Organized Play, and I hope to see plenty of you along for the ride.

Please do get in touch with me if you have questions or concerns about the program, and I’ll do my best to address them. As long as you can remember there are hundreds of you and only one of me and are willing to be a bit patient at times, we should move along just fine.

Thanks again, and I look forward to working with you!

Julia

Julia Hedberg

Judge Manager

Konami Digital Entertainment Inc. (Card Business)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
knight of dusk
Beginner
Beginner

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2007-04-22

PostSubject: Re: a bit of judging info!   Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:47 am

Woot, I'll finally be able to become a judge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShankatsuXero
Beginner
Beginner

Number of posts : 106

PostSubject: Re: a bit of judging info!   Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:16 am

lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Danker
Noob
Noob

Number of posts : 68

PostSubject: Re: a bit of judging info!   Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:28 am

Don't under estimate the new RK Judge Test. It's considerably more difficult than the prior RK1 test under UD. I'd venture to say it's about 75% as difficult as the old RK2 test but only half as long.

The good part is there are currently 6 different versions of the RK1 test so if you fail the first time, or second time, etc. you can take the next version, I believe immediately, though I'd suggest taking some time to study up on what gave you problems in the prior version.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mamonga
Noob
Noob

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-12-05

PostSubject: Re: a bit of judging info!   Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:57 am

For those of you looking ahead to Level 2 and beyond – I’ve begun work on the Level 2 Rulings Comprehension test, and anticipate that it will be ready to go by the end of the year. This will be a paper test, that you will need to take at an event from a KDE-approved test administrator.

but if in my locals aren't that any judges to get that paper test !!!

will there be any chance to get level 2 judge anywhere ales
is there any miracle that there is going to be some large tournament with some judges !!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bigabc.lv
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: a bit of judging info!   

Back to top Go down

a bit of judging info!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1